This review of the best CBD topicals is the latest in Ministry of Hemp’s product review series. Be sure to also check out our review of the Best CBD gummies.
Topical CBD is a great choice whether you’re dealing with chronic pain or just the aches and stiffness of everyday life.
CBD is an extract made from industrial hemp that can offer relief from pain and inflammation. With few side effects or drawbacks, CBD is seeing tremendous popularity today. While most commonly found in a tincture or capsule, an increasing number of brands offer CBD in a salve or cream designed to be applied directly to the skin.
Quality matters, and there are few regulations governing the CBD industry. At Ministry of Hemp, we maintain the highest standards when it comes to CBD and hemp products. Read on to find out more about the benefits of CBD salves and creams, and to see our complete reviews of the best CBD topicals available online.
WHY DO PEOPLE USE TOPICAL CBD?
The main advantage of CBD in a topical form is that it can be applied directly to whatever part of the body needs help. Topical CBD products bypass the digestive system and can immediately go to work where they’re needed.
There’s a growing body of scientific evidence to support the use of topical CBD products to ease pain, inflammation, and the symptoms of arthritis. One study using rats found that topical CBDhas “therapeutic potential for relief of arthritis pain-related behaviours and inflammation without evident side-effects.” More scientific research on humans is needed to confirm all of CBD’s benefits, but the initial research into topical use in humans is also promising.
Hemp and CBD oil are also increasingly popular skin care ingredients. Thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties, CBD can reduce rashes and irritation in the skin just like it eases muscle aches and stiffness.
QUALITY MATTERS: HOW WE PICKED THE BEST CBD TOPICALS
For our review of the best CBD topicals available online, we focused only on companies which make third-party, independent lab results available to consumers. Lab results are available online, included in the order, or on request. It’s vitally important that consumers know exactly what products they’re consuming: how strong it is, and whether it has any impurities. We also focused on brands with fast, friendly customer service and easy to use websites.
We rated each brand on their price, strength, and the cost of shipping. We used our Editor in Chief’s address in central Texas to produce sample shipping costs for each product.
Our reviews also include the ingredients and a description of the scent and texture of each CBD topical. We tried to remain neutral in our descriptions of each product, since each consumer’s experience is subjective. These are all high-quality CBD creams, balms and salves, but you may find you prefer one scent over another. You might love or hate menthol. Some people prefer a light texture, while other buyers are looking for CBD topicals to use in a massage.
After careful review, we believe these are the best CBD topicals for sale online:
- Ananda Hemp: Spectrum Salve 125
- Bee’s Knees: Bee’s Balm
- Citizen CBD: Skin Silk
- CW Hemp: Unscented Hemp Infused Cream
- DaCrema Botanicals: CBD Healing Salve
- ExHemplary Life: Majestic Freshness Muscle & Joint Balm
- Green Garden Gold: Good Day Hemp Oil Salve
- Populum: Cold Therapy Hemp Rub
Click above or continue reading for our complete review of each brand.
CBD TOPICALS OFFICIAL REVIEWS
Ananda Hemp: Spectrum Salve 125
- Highlights: Spectrum Salve 125 has cooling menthol and a smooth, slightly oily texture. Great for targeting sore muscles.
- Price: $23.95
- Strength: 125 mg of full spectrum hemp/CBD extract per 25g tin
- Customer Service & Shipping: Fast customer service. Free standard shipping is available, or faster options for an additional fee.
- Independent Test Results: Online
- Texture & Smell: This salve has a smooth, slightly oily texture from the coconut oil, cocoa butter, and shea butter. It smells of minty essential oils and the other botanical ingredients.
- Ingredients: 100 mg Hemp Flower Extract, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, Beeswax, Organic Menthol Crystals, Boswellia Extract Powder, White Willow Bark Extract, Organic Cayenne, Organic Calendula Flowers, Organic Ginger, Arnica Oil, Capsicum Oil, Sunflower Oil, Essential Oils: Wintergreen, Organic Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Lavender, and Ginger
Ananda Hemp’s salve is produced from industrial hemp grown in Kentucky. The Ananda Hemp team is closely involved with efforts to fully legalize hemp growing nationwide. Since it contains menthol and also warming ingredients, Spectrum Salve should be applied sparingly at first.
Bee’s Knees: Bee’s Balm
- Highlights: Bee’s Balm has a thicker texture, with a pleasant mint coconut scent. Available in a convenient sample size easy to slip in a pocket or purse.
- Price: $7 – $30.00
- Strength: 25mg CBD in “sample size” or 1.75 oz. jar with 200mg of CBD
- Customer Service & Shipping: Fast customer service. $3.95 for First Class Shipping, with faster options available for an additional fee.
- Independent Test Results: Contact Bee’s Knees directly.
- Texture & Smell: Smells like calendula and peppermint: a little floral and a little bit minty, with faint added scent of coconut. This CBD topical has a heavier texture, with a slippery, oily feel.
- Ingredients: Coconut oil, bees wax, CBD oil, eucalyptus essential oil, peppermint, calendula, camphor and vitamin E
The sample size of is great for slipping into your pocket. It’s also an affordable way to try the product. Bee’s Balm produces a mild warming sensation. Bee’s Knees products are grown and produced on a family-owned farm in Colorado.
Citizen CBD: Skin Silk
- Highlights: Skin Silk has a unique whipped texture makes Skin Silk great for skin care to target dry or irritated skin.
- Price: $62.00
- Strength: 250mg of full spectrum hemp extract/CBD in a 4 ounce jar
- Customer Service & Shipping: Fast customer service. Shipping starts at $3.00 for standard shipping with faster options available for an additional fee.
- Independent Test Results: Online.
- Texture & Smell: Skin Silk has a creamy “whipped” texture that’s unique among the products we sampled. This product has a sweet, floral and fruity scent.
- Ingredients: Shea butter, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, hempseed oil, argan oil, jojoba oil, calendula, hemp extract oil, ylang ylang, clary sage, bergamot, geranium and jasmine.
Citizen CBD’s Skin Silk, which we reviewed, is designed with skincare in mind, including treatment of dry skin, inflammation and eczema. They also offers several other topicals including a warming Athletic Rub and a Deep Tissue Rub. Citizen CBD is a veteran-owned company and a portion of proceeds go to help causes like treating PTSD.
CW Hemp: Unscented Hemp Infused Cream
- Highlights: This Unscented Hemp Infused Cream can be used anywhere & has a pleasant, lotiony feel. Perfect for anyone who prefers unscented products.
- Price: $49.99
- Strength: 750 mg of full spectrum hemp/CBD extract per 2.5 oz tube
- Customer Service & Shipping: Fast customer service. Standard shipping starts at $8.99.
- Independent Test Results: Contact CW Hemp directly.
- Texture & Smell: This CBD topical has a soft, creamy texture that easily absorbs into the skin. There is a very faint, lotiony smell.
- Ingredients: Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice*, Purified Water, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Oleosomes, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shae) Butter*, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Vegetable Glycerin**, Cetearyl Olivate, Sorbitan Olivate**, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter*, Lactobacillus Ferment (from Cabbage)**, Lactobacillus, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Fruit Extract**, CW Hemp Oil CO2 Extract, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Cimicifuga Racemosa (Black Cohash) Root Extract, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil*, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil*, Glyceryl Stearate (Palm Oil Derived), Xanthan Gum, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Cyamopsis Tetragonolobus (Guar) Gum*, Sodium Benzoate, and Potassium Sorbate.
This product is also available with a warming menthol and cinnamon scent which should be applied sparingly at first. CW Hemp is a family-owned company whose products are produced in Colorado. Discounts are available if you subscribe to this product.
DaCrema Botanicals: CBD Healing Salve
- Highlights: CBD Healing Salve is very light, with a non-greasy texture that makes this salve easy to apply anytime you need relief of sore muscles or irritation. Basil, lavender & other botanical ingredients give it a unique herbal scent.
- Price: $35.00 – $45.00
- Strength: 120mg or 180mg (Extra Strength) full spectrum hemp/CBD extract per 1.3 ounce tin
- Customer Service & Shipping: Fast customer service. Shipping is $7.45 for priority shipping.
- Independent Test Results: Contact DaCrema Botanicals directly.
- Texture & Smell: Beeswax, shea butter and natural oils combine to create a smooth, very light texture that is not greasy. Herbal ingredients create a pleasing botanical scent.
- Ingredients: Beeswax, Olive Oil, Shea Butter, Grapeseed Oil, CBD Hemp Oil, Essential Oils of Lavender, Rosemary, Eucalyptus, Spearmint, Marjoram, Basil, and Vetiver
This salve is available in both regular and extra strength varieties. DaCrema Botanicals products are handmade in small batches using U.S.-grown organic hemp. The company was founded by a former health industry professional.
ExHemplary Life: Majestic Freshness Muscle & Joint Balm
- Highlights: Majestic Freshness Muscle & Joint Balm is a bit more slippery and oily. It’s good for rubbing into sore muscles, without being too greasy.
- Price: $20.00 – $50.00
- Strength: 125 mg full spectrum hemp/CBD extract per 0.5 oz “rub on” applicator stick, or 500 mg per 2 oz jar.
- Customer Service & Shipping: Fast customer service.
- Independent Test Results: Contact ExHemplary Life directly.
- Texture & Smell: This balm smells of citrus and rosemary, with hints of other essential oils. Majestic Freshness has a light and slightly oily texture.
- Ingredients: Shea Butter, Hemp Seed Oil, Grape seed oil, Beeswax, Modified Tapioca Powder, Emulsifying Wax, Full spectrum Raw Hemp CBD Oil, Essential oils of: Rosemary, Willowbark, Bergamot, Lemonbalm, Lemon, Frankincense, Evening Primrose oil, and Isopropyl Myristate
ExHemplary Life makes several different CBD topicals. They also offer a wide variety of hemp products including hemp soaps. ExHemplary Life was founded by a massage therapist that discovered the benefits of CBD after a health crisis. Their products are made from Colorado hemp.
Green Garden Gold: Good Day Hemp Oil Salve
- Highlights: Very slippery & thick, Good Day Hemp Oil Salve from Green Garden Gold is great for coconut oil fans.
- Price: $34.99
- Strength: 75mg full spectrum hemp/CBD extract per 2 oz jar.
- Customer Service & Shipping: Fast customer service. Standard shipping is available for $4.
- Independent Test Results: Online.
- Texture & Smell: Good Day Hemp Oil Salve has a thick, oily texture that’s close to raw coconut oil. This CBD topical smells strongly of coconut with vanilla undertones.
- Ingredients: Organic coconut oil, organic bee’s wax organic natural vanilla, GMP-certified hemp oil
This salve is perfect for people who prefer a thicker CBD topical, including anyone that’s already using coconut oil for massage or skin care. Green Garden Gold is a Texas-based company. Their products are made from organically-grown European industrial hemp.
Populum: Cold Therapy Hemp Rub
- Highlights: Cold Therapy Hemp Rub goes to work fast cooling sore muscles thanks to the added menthol. Very light, non-greasy texture.
- Price: $45.00
- Strength: 100 mg of full spectrum hemp/CBD extract per 3 oz. tube
- Customer Service & Shipping: Fast customer service. Free standard shipping is available, with faster options available for an additional fee.
- Independent Test Results: Included with every order.
- Texture & Smell: This rub has a noticeable smell of menthol. Our review team appreciated the light, non-greasy texture of this Cold Therapy Rub.
- Ingredients: Full-spectrum hemp extract, Water, Aloe Barbadensis leaf extract, Carbomer, Chamomile extract, Arnica extract, Emu oil, Isopropyl Alcohol, L-menthol, Propylene glycol, Diazolidinyl urea, Methlyparaben, Triethanolamine
Populum’s offers fast, effective cooling. A discount is available if you subscribe to regular shipments of this product. Since it contains menthol, Cold Therapy Hemp Rub should be applied sparingly at first. Populum’s products are made from Colorado hemp.
Some companies provided their products free or at a discount in return for our honest review.
Thanks to Leif Hayman for his assistance.